EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The role of the Executive Director is to provide leadership and coordination for the overall program and administration of the program. This includes working closely with the program’s Board of Directors, staff and volunteers to carry out the vision and mission of the program.
The Executive Director creates and manages the overall structures, methods and systems for the program’s vision and policies to be translated into action, including finding ways to work constructively at overcoming barriers to the program’s vision.
The Executive Director will work with the appropriate committees to accomplish the following items:
1. Assure that the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
2. Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
3. Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
4. Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
5. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
1. See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
2. Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
3. Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
4. Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
1. Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
2. Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
3. See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
4. Encourage staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
5. Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
1. Work with the staff, finance Committee and Board in developing and maintaining sound financial practices, prepare a yearly budget, and see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
2. Work to ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
3. Jointly, with the president and secretary of the board of directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.