With strong volunteer and community support, FCRJ has made great strides in the past year. FCRJ has facilitated a total of 21 cases from January 2010 – December
2011 and reports a 87% rate of youth successfully completing the Victim-Offender conferencing program without re-offending.
- Introducing the community to Restorative Justice and conducting conferences in the FCRJ office – an in-kind donation and reduced rent from the non-profit Neighbor to Neighbor organization (which also provides low-cost transportation for AAOpps.)
- Actively involved 5 Board members and 3+ consistent volunteers
- Referred a total 21 cases from Diversion, Probation, BV and Salida Municipal Courts to facilitate Victim – Offender conferences. FCRJ has processed 21 cases to date, with 13 successfully completed, 2 re-offenses after completing FCRJ, 2 incomplete and 2 closed due to re-offenses before completing FCRJ, and 2 cases are in process.
- Conducted Satisfaction Surveys with all Stakeholders at the completion of the Restorative Circle; of the 43 individuals surveyed: 41 rated the Evaluation approval/satisfaction rate with the RJ process as “very high”.
- Held community awareness fundraisers, bake sales and grant requests in 2010 – bringing in over $17K.
- Collaborating with Chaffee County High School and the Probation Department to utilize restorative circles as an alternative or in conjunction with sanctions
- Promoting the use of restorative justice and Non-Violent Communication (NVC) in the school district
- Action Adventure Opportunities (AAOpps), the FCRJ Youth Program, offers a recreational, educational or cultural activity every other week; juveniles participate in a community service activity once a month. AAOpps served over 100 teens in Fremont and Chaffee counties in 2010.
- Currently, over 80% of youth involved in AAOpps are successful and continue to be successful in their lives. Success is measured by self-report assessments measuring increase in feelings of self worth as well as tracking rates of recidivism through the Judicial District.
- Recent AAOpps community service projects: Ark-Valley Humane Society, Valley to Valley Senior Care Center, Skyline Ridge Care Center, Caring & Sharing